Plaster ceiling coving has become widely used in UK around 1930s. Before that, it has been used exquisitely to embellish temples in ancient Greece and houses during the Victorian period. The patterns made with cornice are a real beauty. However, plaster ceiling cornice is quite delicate to the touch, and it can be ruined fast if you do not take proper care of it.
Sometimes though, no matter how much we take care of our plaster ceiling coving, it still gets damaged. We know that a piece of plaster ceiling cornice tends to be quite pricey so we have thought of a way to help you maintain your money’s worth.
How to repair plaster ceiling coving?
Before you start repairing, prepare the following:
- Plaster adhesive
- Polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Plaster compound
- Joint knife or Taping knife
- Water- or oil-based paint
|Read also Water Damaged Plaster Ceiling Lath Plaster Ceiling and Suspended Plaster Ceiling|
Now, you may begin:
- Like any wound, you have to first clean the ‘injured’ area before you start patching it up. To be able to repair your plaster ceiling coving, use a damp sponge to clean the broken part of the cornice. Do not over-saturate it though.
- When the cleaning is done, take a portion of the Styrofoam that is of the same thickness as the coving, and cut it in a way that it will fit perfectly in the coving gap. Use the plaster adhesive to stick it into place.
- After that, add plaster adhesive over the piece of Styrofoam. Let it stand for one whole day. Feel free to use the sandpaper if needed.
- Once that is finally dry, use the joint knife to apply a coat of the plaster compound carefully on the damaged area. Let it dry for several hours before you apply another coating of the plaster compound.
- For the final touches of your plaster ceiling coving, make sure to use the sandpaper to remove any excess coating and to let the new plaster conform to the curves of the original plaster.
Make your house look prettier with plaster ceiling cornice. The good news is that you do not have to import any coving in case you want some for your home because Plaster Ceiling Malaysia has a lot of different plaster ceiling decorative cornices for you! Call now for inquiries.